10 Morale-Boosting Employee Engagement Activities During COVID-19
The pandemic has presented both employers and teams with a whole new set of challenges to contend with, making employee engagement activities during COVID-19 a vital tool.
To put it lightly, 2020 has been a difficult year for everyone. That’s why employee engagement activities during COVID-19 are more important than ever before.
With many teams working remotely, communication and bonds between colleagues being strained, and economic uncertainty creating new stresses for organizations and their employees, taking steps to reinforce employee engagement and morale is a must.
But there’s some silver lining: as challenging as social distancing can be, employee engagement does not have to be bound within the office walls. Technology has made it easy to connect with team members, no matter where they’re located.
Here are ten morale-boosting employee engagement activities during COVID-19.
1. Virtual Yoga or Workout Classes
Getting a little blood pumping goes a lot way in elevating your mood. So, you can take a quick pause from your workday to do a virtual yoga or workout class with your team.
Your team members can take turns running a class, or you can collectively join an online workout class run by a professional.
If you don’t know where to start, check out this article from Goop that explores seven professionally led online workout classes for you and your team.
2. Online Happy Hour
Employee engagement doesn’t always have to be centered around work.
On the contrary, sometimes the best employee engagement happens in a casual setting where your team can get to know each other better outside of the parameters of their professional roles.
With that in mind, you can gather as a group using your favorite video conferencing platform, like Zoom or Microsoft Teams, and enjoy some beverages together. You could even try making fancy cocktails together. This list of 14 fancy cocktail recipes from Brit + Co can serve up some inspiration.
3. Cook Together Online
Most people have their favorite go-to recipe. So, consider having your team take turns teaching your colleagues how to cook their favorite meal.
If you want to up the ante, you could even offer each employee a small grocery budget to help them pick up all the items they’ll need to cook with.
But remember to make sure to check in with everyone about dietary restrictions so that nobody gets left out.
4. Virtual Team Building Activities
The pandemic has had a serious impact on employee morale. Luckily, virtual team building activities are a great way to keep employees engaged, connected, and social while social distancing.
At Outback Team Building and Training, we offer a ton of fun and engaging virtual team building activities, including:
- Clue Murder Mystery: Can your group solve who had the means, motive, and opportunity to commit a deadly crime?
- Team Pursuit: Play to your team’s strengths as you take on four types of challenges – mental, physical, skill, and mystery.
- Code Break: Solve puzzles, riddles, and trivia in this team building competition.
- Game Show Extravaganza: Be a part of your own game show with this activity where your team will need to tackle trivia questions spanning pop culture, geography, sports, world history, and more.
5. Games on Houseparty
Houseparty is a face-to-face social networking app that’s exploded in popularity over the last few months. And, although this group video chat platform may seem like just another FaceTime or Skype, Houseparty comes with some unique social features – namely games!
Through Houseparty, you can connect with your colleagues and play any number of available games. Here are some of the most popular ones that you can choose from:
- Heads Up!: This is a video-chat version of the hilarious game from Ellen DeGeneres. Players provide clues for a word that one person tries to guess.
- Trivia: Choose from 18 different decks that cover a range of topics and test your coworkers’ trivia knowledge!
6. Virtual Group Training Programs
In a time when employee morale is down across the globe, there’s something to be said for investing in your team’s personal and professional development.
You’re showing your employees that you value them, want to support their growth in your organization, and are equipping them with tools to be even more effective in their role.
If this sounds like something your team could benefit from, we’d recommend:
- Emotional Intelligence Training: With the Emotional Intelligence (EQ) leadership training and development program, you can develop your team’s self-awareness and social skills.
- Practical Time Management Training: Help your team minimize distractions and make the most of their time while working from home or in the office.
- Clear Communication Training: Help your team become effective communicators, and develop both verbal and written communication skills.
Are you looking for more creative ways of engaging your team virtually? Have a look at our article “20 Virtual Team Building Activities to Engage Remote Employees” for some more inspiration.
7. Virtual Icebreaker Games
This is a great time to help your team get to know each other even better. Doing so will help forge stronger personal bonds which will ultimately lead to stronger professional outcomes.
We compiled a comprehensive list of The 164 Best Team Building Icebreaker Questions for Work, which include some great questions like:
- If you could instantly become an expert in anything, what would it be?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- You’re going to sail around the world. What’s the name of your boat?
8. Play Virtual Pictionary
Wait, did we really just suggest playing Pictionary online? How in the world would that work?
We’re glad you asked!
Using Skribbl.io, you can play Pictionary with your team by creating a private room for your team and drawing with your house.
If you think it’s funny to play in person, just wait until you’re watching people try to draw using their mouse or computer trackpad.
9. Host Virtual Lunch and Learns
Another great way to keep your team engaged is by tasking them with hosting a virtual lunch and learn for your team on an ongoing basis.
Whether it’s weekly, monthly, or any cadence you choose, assign each person a time where they can research something relevant to your industry that they find useful and interesting and have them present it to the team.
This way, they can learn and practice key soft skills all while keeping connected with the rest of the team.
You’ll be surprised by all the unexpected things you can learn about your colleagues!
Are you looking for ways to make virtual team building a recurring activity? With Quizbreaker, you can deliver scheduled team building quizzes to your team’s inbox, anytime you want. Quizbreaker delivers up to 100 predeveloped icebreaker questions to your team members via email. Then, colleagues are tasked with trying to guess the correct answers in gamified quiz rounds sent out on autopilot to help teammates get to know each other better and to have fun in the process.
The COVID-19 pandemic is undeniably causing challenges and stresses for organizations and employees around the world. But by implementing the right employee engagement activities during COVID-19, you can help boost your team’s spirits and increase their productivity.
Learn More About Employee Engagement Activities During COVID-19
For more information about how your team can stay engaged during the pandemic, reach out to our Employee Engagement Consultants.