14 Halloween Team Building Activities for the Workplace
With the spookiest day of the year right around the corner, now’s the time to start looking for Halloween team building activities for the workplace. We’ve compiled a list of virtual and in-person Halloween team building games your colleagues will love.
Updated on August 20, 2021
After a challenging year, your team probably needs every possible opportunity to have some fun and lighten their spirits. And with October quickly approaching, Halloween team building activities for the workplace are another great chance to have some fun with your team.
Whether your team is working remotely or in the office, here are 14 fun and engaging ideas for how to celebrate the spookiest day of the year together.
- 7 Virtual Halloween Team Building Games for Remote Teams
- 1. Virtual Halloween Howler
- 2. Video Pumpkin Carving
- 3. Virtual Clue Murder Mystery
- 4. Virtual Halloween Happy Hour
- 5. Virtual Scream Pursuit
- 6. Halloween Virtual Trivia Games
- 7. Virtual Escape Room: Jewel Heist
- 7 In-Person Halloween Team Building Activities for the Workplace
7 Virtual Halloween Team Building Games for Remote Teams
For many teams, getting together in person simply isn’t a possibility. But that doesn’t have to stop you from having some Halloween fun together.
Here are seven virtual Halloween team building activities that your team will love.
Get ready to visit some of the scariest places imaginable, including a creepy castle, a graveyard at midnight, a haunted house, and… a gameshow set. With Virtual Halloween Howler, you and your colleagues will need to put on your bravest faces as you compete through four rounds of terrifying trivia challenges.
2. Video Pumpkin Carving
If you want to make things even more interesting, you can transform this into a contest where employees vote on their favorite pumpkins. You can even give out a spooky prize for the winner.
Nothing screams “Halloween” like a murder mystery. And in the virtual version of our Clue Murder Mystery activity, your team will need to solve the murder of a man named Neil Davidson by figuring out who had the means, motive, and opportunity to commit the crime. If you really want to get in the Halloween spirit, you and your team can even get Halloween costumes and dress up as detectives!
4. Virtual Halloween Happy Hour
You can’t go wrong with a virtual happy hour. And for Halloween, we recommend tasking your team with creating the best costume they can possibly think of and turning this happy hour into a costume contest.
And if you or your team are looking for some delicious inspiration, check out this comprehensive list of Halloween-inspired cocktails from Delish. Some of the highlights include:
- Boozy Screamsicle Shakes – Ice cream? Good. Vanilla vodka? Good. Boozy, spooky, creamsicle-inspired cocktails? Very, very good.
- Jekyll & Gin – This twist on a Gin Daisy looks coral-colored in the daylight and glows white under a black light.
- Black Magic Margaritas – Give that classic margarita an eerie upgrade with some black sanding sugar and some dark-colored food coloring.
Just remember, if you’re having drinks, do so responsibly and always ensure everyone has a safe way to get home.
We hope your team isn’t afraid of a challenge! With this eerie Halloween-themed team building activity, they’ll test their nerves and their wits as they work through a series of mental, physical, skill, and mystery challenges, earning points for each completed correctly—all while having some fun, sharing some laughs, and celebrating the spookiest season of the year.
6. Halloween Virtual Trivia Games
- Pick a moderator because it’s easier to have one person coordinating all the details
- Choose your tools, such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams
- Select your questions, including:
- Which country did Jack-o-Lanterns originally belong to?
- How many pounds of candy corn are produced annually?
- Who was the first actor to play Wolfman?
- For more, you might want to check out this list of 100+ Halloween trivia questions
- Break the group into teams
- Have each team create their own private video conference
- Set the ground rules, such as not using Google, only one answer per team, and the amount of time that teams will have to discuss before submitting their response
- Tally the scores and announce the winner
The amount of time you’ll want to dedicate to this will depend on how many questions you have. We’d recommend allocating a minimum of one hour for 25 to 30 questions.
Halloween is a holiday shrouded in mystery, so why not immerse yourself and your team in a mystery of your own?
Here’s the story.
There’s been a robbery. Someone has masterminded a heist to steal a priceless collection of precious jewels, and it’s up to you and your team to recover them before time runs out.
Together, you’ll need to uncover hidden clues and solve a series of brain-boggling challenges that require collaboration, creative problem-solving, and outside-the-box thinking. But be quick! The clock is ticking before the stolen score is gone forever.
Just because you’re not working together in person doesn’t mean your team can’t have fun together this Halloween. You just need to get creative with your Halloween team building activities for the workplace.
7 In-Person Halloween Team Building Activities for the Workplace
If your team works in the office together, or if you’re able to get together in-person, then you’ve got a ton of great Halloween team building activity ideas available to you.
Here are seven Halloween team building activities.
1. Haunted House Visits
With this team building activity, you and your group will need to put your detective hats on to solve a deadly crime by gathering evidence, analyzing clues, and cracking the case before time runs out. But it won’t be easy! You’ll need to think creatively and work collaboratively in order to identify the perpetrator.
3. Decorate Your Office and Desks
As individual departments or as a full team, get together to decorate your office in classic Halloween fashion. We’d recommend setting a budget per department and sending your team out in small groups to go buy decorations.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, check out these awesome ideas from Homedit.
You can also encourage individual employees to decorate their desks and do a tour of the office to check out how everyone did it.
You’ve probably never heard of Neil Davidson, but in this mysterious team building activity, you and your team will need to work together to analyze clues, review case files, and determine who had the means and the motive to commit a deadly crime.
5. The Mummy Wrap
Want to have a laugh with your team? Play this game you probably haven’t thought about since elementary school!
Break out into teams and elect one person from each team to be transformed into a mummy – by being wrapped from head to toe in toilet paper. The first team that can successfully wrap the mummy wins.
You can also add an extra element of challenge by having your team customize their mummy costumes in a way that fits your brand or company theme.
If your team loves a challenging cerebral activity, then a Corporate Escape Room is for you. And in the Halloween spirit, you can’t go wrong with our Mummy’s Curse theme.
We’ll transform your office or meeting space into your very own Corporate Escape Room so that you don’t have to worry about paying outrageous prices or shuttling your team back and forth to an off-site location.
And in The Mummy’s Curse, you and your group will need to uncover the secrets of Ancient Egypt to retrieve the talisman and lift the mummy’s curse. Using mysterious items provide, you’ll be challenged to strategize, problem-solve, and communicate as you work through a series of puzzles before time runs out.
7. Halloween Potluck
You can’t go wrong with a good potluck. We recommend that you set a modest budget for each member of your team to purchase groceries and let them get creative with their recipes.
If you’re looking for inspiration, check out this massive list of 72 Halloween potluck recipe ideas from Taste of Home. It includes things like:
- So-Easy-It’s-Spooky Bat Cake – Made with a boxed cake mix, this can easily be transformed into a Halloween-themed cake by creating a bat silhouette using cocoa.
- Witches’ Fingers – These sweet-and-salty treats are delicious and easy to make.
- Roasted Pumpkin Nachos – Using delicious fresh fall ingredients, you can make nachos and replace corn with roasted pumpkin or butternut squash for a tasty Halloween treat.
- Mad Scientist Punch – Using kitchen staples like juice concentrate, soft drink mix, soda, and sherbet, you can make this delicious beverage in a boozy or non-boozy version.
- Halloween Party Cutout Cookies – What’s better than sugar cookies? Using an easy recipe and a few colors of icing, you can bake fun and tasty Halloween cookies your colleagues will love.
As October 31st approaches, it’s a great opportunity to start thinking about fun and engaging Halloween team building activities for the workplace. Your colleagues will thank you for it!
Do you have any other Halloween team building ideas that we might’ve missed? If so, let us know what they are in the comments section below!
Learn More About Virtual and In-Person Halloween Team Building Activities for the Workplace
For more information about how your team can celebrate Halloween with a fun team building activity, reach out to our Employee Engagement Consultants.