CASE STUDY: A custom charity event for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
As a philanthropic organization, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is familiar with giving back. Learn more about the unique charity event their group participated in, and how our team customized the experience for them.
THE QUESTION – “Do you have any unique charity events?”
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation focuses on improving the quality of life for billions of people around the world, working to help improve healthcare and education, and decrease poverty.
With the basis of their work revolving around philanthropy, it’s not hard to imagine that their team has “done it all” when it comes to charity and philanthropic activities.
When the head office of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in Seattle, Washington contacted our team, they were looking for a group activity that would help them give back – in a new way.
THE ANSWER – “New Event – Bookworm Builders”
Our team created a new charity activity, called Bookworm Builders, for this event.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation team worked in small groups of two to three to construct bookshelves for children in need. Each team built a custom shelf that the organization donated to Treehouse, a local non-profit that supports the education of youth in foster care.
As a result, each group had the chance to work together, get creative, and do something a little different, while supporting local children and their educational development.
Highlights from the activity include:
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation got to give back in a unique and entirely new way
- The activity aligned with the organization’s objective of improving education and supporting children in Washington State
- Building bookshelves helped them give back to their community and provided a team building experience
- Groups had the chance to collaborate, use their creativity, and work together in a fun environment as they constructed and decorated the shelves
- Their group didn’t have to worry about preparing for the event – our team took care of all the details, including the building materials and children’s books for donation
THE RESULTS – “Your team went above and beyond”
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was very happy with the results of their custom team building activity. They loved how flexible our team and philanthropic activities were, and they appreciated that they were able to find a unique charitable event to do as a group.
“Your team was so amazing and flexible with us, as we moved our event several times and our size changed multiple times as well. Your patience with us was amazing! The fact that this activity makes a charitable donation says it all! Your team went above and beyond preparing for our event to truly fit our needs.— Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation